It is generally accepted that a 30/30 can take down a deer at a distance of 150 yards; both flat-nose and round-nose bullets bear most of the responsibility for this. One thing is a gun’s muzzle velocity. Keeping up with such speed is another challenge. And bullets with an aerodynamically inefficient flat or round snout do a poor job of accomplishing this task.
Also relies on the bullet’s weight, as 30-30 refers to the diameter, not the mass; this factors into how quickly it may travel. Assuming that gravity is always the same, this is dependent on the air resistance, which is often fairly constant, but shifts somewhat depending on altitude. Let’s pretend we’re on Earth and at the surface of the ocean.
How fast does a 30/30 bullet travel?
. 30-30 Winchester
|130 gr (8 g) FP||2,496 ft/s (761 m/s)||1,799 ft⋅lbf (2,439 J)|
|150 gr (10 g) FN||2,390 ft/s (730 m/s)||1,903 ft⋅lbf (2,580 J)|
|160 gr (10 g) cast LFN||2,330 ft/s (710 m/s)||1,929 ft⋅lbf (2,615 J)|
|170 gr (11 g) FP||2,227 ft/s (679 m/s)||1,873 ft⋅lbf (2,539 J)|
How many miles can a 308 bullet travel?
The 308 Winchester would easily be fatal out to a mile. If, on the other hand, we are talking about shooting wildlife that is of a size that is considered to be medium in North America, such as a whitetail deer, the distance would be considerably closer. In point of fact, I contend that a range of three hundred yards is optimal for hunting deer with a 308 rifle.
How powerful is a 30/30 round?
- The Ammo 30-30 of today is superior than previous versions in every way.
- The flex-tipped projectile weighing 160 grains travels at about 2,400 feet per second when it exits the muzzle, which results in a muzzle energy of 2,046 foot-pounds.
- Downrange, the velocity and energy both stay quite high: 2,150 feet per second at 100 yards, 1,916 feet per second at 200 yards, and 1,619 feet per second at 300 yards.
How far will a bullet travel before it stops?
Interview with the Person. 21 May 2002. The velocity of a 9mm bullet is approximately 1500 feet per second. Before coming to rest, it will have traveled around 2500 yards. Distance Covered by a Handgun Bullet
|Type of Bullet||Form Factor|
|Semi Pointed soft point||0.9–1.1|
|Pointed Soft Point||1.2–1.6|
|Pointed Full Jacket||1.5–1.8|
|Pointed Full Jacket Boat Tailed||1.9–2.0|
Is a 30/30 good for home defense?
The rounds for a 30-30, which are often used for hunting, are an excellent choice for use in home defense and personal protection. This firearm does not have any ″special″ rounds available for it.
How far will a .22 bullet travel?
More than a mile may be covered by a bullet fired from a 22 Long Rifle, which has a range of 2,000 yards (1,800 meters) (1.6 km).
What bullet travels the farthest?
A bullet fired from a centerfire rifle may travel for several kilometres. The range of little shot is between 200 and 350 yards. More than 600 yards can be covered with larger shot. Slugs have a range of more than 800 yards.
What caliber do snipers use?
The 7.62 mm (0.30 inch) caliber ammunition used in military sniper rifles, such as the 7.6251mm and 7.6254mm R, is the most common type of ammunition used in these rifles since they are the most widely used.
Will a 30/30 take down a bear?
The 30/30 is not just a confirmed method of taking out bears, but it is also perhaps the most proven method of taking out bears. When you go on a hunt like this, you should choose a bullet that expands quickly.
Why is it called 30-30?
- Alternatives to the 45 and the shotgun.
- The 30-30 is considered by many to be the premier cartridge for hunting deer in North America.
- It was the first small-bore sports rifle cartridge designed for use with smokeless powder.
- The name comes from a combination of the cartridge size and the design, and it refers to a bullet that has a caliber of 30 and is loaded with 30 grains of smokeless powder.
Is a 3030 a good deer rifle?
A. A Perfect Score of 30/30 Is All You Need (If You Know How to Hunt) The typical range for a successful rifle shot at large-game animals is no farther than one hundred yards (probably less). At that range, a standard 150-grain bullet will do the trick.
How far can ak47 bullet travel?
The AK-47 and AKM, with the 7.62 × 39 mm ammunition, have a maximum effective range of roughly 300 meters (330 yd) (330 yd).
How much does a bullet drop at 1 mile?
Now, push to almost the full mile being 1,760 yards and the bullet drop is coming like raindrops out of the sky at a 1, 155.5-inch drop or 32 yards arriving overhead.
What is the fastest bullet?
With a recorded velocity of 1,422 meters per second (4,665 feet per second) utilizing a 1.9 gram (29 gr) bullet and 2.7 grams (42 gr) of 3031 powder, the 220 Swift continues to hold the title of the fastest commercial cartridge in the world.
How far can a 30-06 bullet travel?
- Another common bullet, the 30-06 Springfield has an effective range that is highly reliant on muzzle velocity, weight, and the many external and internal elements of the environment.
- From what I’ve seen, a bullet fired from a 30.06 caliber rifle is capable of traveling further than 400 yards.
- In the course of one of my hunts, I was successful in bringing down a deer from a distance of 415 yards with my Savage 110 30-06 rifle.
How far does a 40 caliber bullet travel?
- The muzzle velocity of a 40-caliber bullet will determine how far it travels after leaving the barrel.
- The majority of rounds with a caliber of 40 have a velocity that ranges between 1200 and 1400 feet per second (FPS).
- When launched from a height of five feet above the ground and under ideal conditions, the bullet is capable of traveling up to 6,600 feet.
- The 45 caliber bullet is another common choice for handgun ammunition.