Are there any travel advisories for Costa Rica?
January 9, 2020 – A new ‘Exercise Increased Caution’ Travel Advisory was issued for the Republic of Costa Rica due to ‘threats for tourists. ‘ This Level 2 Travel Advisory issued by the US Department of State on January 7, 2020, joins previous Advisories published by the Canadian and UK governments.
What should I avoid in Costa Rica?
Here are our mistakes to avoid traveling in Costa Rica.
- Not adding extra time to driving times.
- Not researching car rentals.
- Assuming Costa Rica is cheap.
- Not asking about tides.
- Not looking up bus schedules.
- Not booking hotels during peak season/Not booking car rentals during high season.
- Trying to go to too many places.
Is it safe to drive in Costa Rica as a tourist?
Yes it is safe to rent & drive a car around Costa Rica. The 2 biggest issues are petty theft, so always carry your valuables with you – never leave them in the car for even minute stops – and traffic cops that remove license plates when you park illegally.