The most often seen ball hitch size for travel trailers. The trailer ball that is used to tow most travel trailers is either 2 inches or 2-5/16 inches in diameter. Travel trailers may weigh anything from 5,000 to 10,000 pounds or more, depending on its size and configuration. The ball weight ratings range from 2-5/16 inches to 2-5/16 inches, which is an ideal fit.
What size hitch balls do trailers use?
Hitch balls for recreational and light commercial use are available in a number of diameters, including 1 7/8′′, 2′′, 2 5/16′′, and, on occasion, 3′′. In general, smaller hitch balls are used on lighter trailers.
How do I choose a trailer ball?
- 1 Make sure the ball size corresponds to the coupler size.
- When selecting a trailer ball, start by determining the ball diameter by comparing it to the coupler diameter.
- 2 Align the Shank with the Trailer Ball Hole on the trailer.
- The trailer ball is attached to the platform of a ball mount or bumper hitch through a hole in the platform of the hitch.
3 Match the weight capacity of your towing system to the vehicle’s weight.
What is the weight capacity of a trailer ball?
- Size Chart for Trailer Balls Diameter of the ball Shank Length Shank Diameter Weight Capacity Shank Length Shank Diameter 1-7/8′ 1-5/8′ to 3′ 3/4′ to 1′ 2,000 to 3,500 lbs.
- 1-7/8′ 1-5/8′ to 3′ 3/4′ to 1′ 2,000 to 3,500 lbs.
- GTW From 2′ 1-3/4′ to 3′ 3/4′ to 1-1/4′, the weight ranges from 3,500 to 12,000 lbs.
- GTW 2-5/16′ 2-1/8′ to 3-1/2′ 1′ to 2′ 6,000 to 30,000 lbs.
2-5/16′ 2-1/8′ to 3-1/2′ 1′ to 2′ 3′ 3-1/4′ 2′ 30,000 lbs.GTW 3′ 3-1/4′ 2′ GTW 1 more row after that
How do I know what size trailer ball I need?
Starting with the diameter of the ball itself, you may determine the size of the hitch ball. The diameter should be stamped onto the top of the ball, or you may measure the diameter using a tape measure or ruler to get an accurate measurement. Make sure the diameter is the same as the diameter of your trailer coupler. Then you’ll need to figure out how big the hitch ball shank is.
What is the standard ball size for a trailer hitch?
In the United States, there are only three standard sizes of hitch balls: 1-7/8 inch, 2 inch, and 2-5/16 inch hitch balls. You’ll also want to pay attention to the weight capacity that your hitch ball is capable of supporting.
Are there different size tow balls?
Both the old inch and 7/8ths ball (47.5mm) and the newer 50mm ball are available in two different sizes. If your vehicle is equipped with a 50mm tow ball, you will not be able to fit it into a smaller coupling.
How much weight should be on a tow ball?
When towing, the weight of your tow ball is included in your Gross Car Mass (GVM), thus it is important to keep this in mind to ensure that your vehicle does not become overloaded. A good rule of thumb is that the tow ball weight should equal 10% of the trailer’s loaded weight.
Why are there different trailer ball sizes?
What are the different types of ball hitches and when should you use them? Despite the fact that all ball hitches are meant to work the same way, the primary difference is in their size. The diameter of the trailer ball itself is taken into consideration while making measurements. Ball hitches are available in three basic sizes: 1-7/8-inch, 2-inch, and 2-5/16-inch.
What size ball mount do I need?
Make a note of the difference Make a subtraction between the height of the receiver and the height of the trailer coupler. The amount of drop you require in your ball mount is determined by this differential. If the height of your hitch is higher than the height of your coupler, you’ll need a ball mount with a drop to accommodate this.
What size nut is on a 2 inch ball?
Helpful Expert Response: The Tow Ready 2 inch Hitch Ball # 19258 comes with a 1-1/8 inch nut, which is quite convenient.
What is the 85 towing rule?
Many towing experts advise that a newbie should maintain the fully laden weight of the caravan to no more than 85 percent of the kerbweight of the tow car in order to ensure that the tow vehicle remains safe. This is referred to as the ″85 percent rule.″ Keep in mind that this is only a guideline and is not legally binding.
Can I increase my tow ball weight?
- The tow ball weight capacity of your vehicle must be increased starting at the tow tongue and working your way backwards to get the desired weight capacity.
- In certain circumstances, you may only need to replace the tongue or tow bar, which is less expensive.
- If you want anything more, however, you will need to check with the manufacturer, an external engineer, or a suspension shop, among other sources.
Does a weight distribution hitch reduce tow ball weight?
It was known as a weight distributing hitch, and it worked by levering up the back of the tow vehicle and levering down the front of the tow vehicle, so reducing some of the tow ball weight on the tow vehicle’s rear tyres in order to restore some of the weight on the tow vehicle’s front tyres.